Sunday, May 22, 2011

Always Talk to Strangers at Dinner & Take Your Siblings to Lunch

(For one quick second I’m feeling like I’m sitting down to finish writing a thesis. I start to have panic attacks and sudden death flashbacks…then I take a deep, deep breath and relax. This is writing for fun. I think to myself. What a strange concept. I say. I like it.)

The chapter that starts on page 56 is titled, “Do Lobsters Eat Real Men?” The story in the chapter wasn’t what sparked my writing wick; it was a question at the back of the chapter… (by the way this is the coolest inaugural book for our little book club. Whoever found this little gem is really wise and smart and…). Specifically question #3 which asks when was the last time you invited your brother or sister to dinner and picked up the tab. Well, it’s been a while, actually. That little brother of mine left on his mission on January 13th 2010. So, since then, I have not in fact “treated” him to dinner (cause, lets be honest, dinner with me is a real treat). I did recently however have an even sweeter experience…

While on the Alaskan cruise we sat at dinner each night with a couple from Casper, Wyoming (pictured in the photo above). They were so genuine and kind-the type of people who would take anyone into their home and make them feel like family (literally, they’ve housed 16+ exchange students from Japan, Germany, etc, etc, etc). Merna is a Casper 4-H volunteer who constantly has kids down to the house to learn about the different animals on their “mini farm” (the kind I can see Amy having someday). Jim owns his own rig and contracts out with companies to take important shipments from where ever they are to where ever they need to be (that’s a nice way of saying he’s a truck driver).

About mid way through the week-long cruise, I found out that Elder Sid had been transferred to (drum roll….) Casper, WY! (The same Casper, Wyoming where Merna and Jim live!) I came to dinner that night so excited to tell my new friends the good news! Afterwards, I don’t know who was more excited; me or them. Merna lit up at the opportunity to invite my brother into her home and was especially excited to “let him practice” on her. She then referred to the times they’ve had the Jehovah’s Witnesses over to “practice their discussions”. She has no idea what’s coming. Go get ‘em dunked Elder Sid! In my eyes, our dinner together (although Sid was only present in spirit) was a huge success.

The moral of the story…Always talk to strangers at dinner. And, take your siblings to lunch.

1 comment:

  1. Comment about talking to strangers. On my flight home from Seattle, there was a couple sitting next to me. They actually started talking to me first. Anyway, we found out that we knew the same people from home. Small world! You never know what kind of connections you'll make.

    ReplyDelete